Sunday, October 23, 2011

Fishbowl

“Mummy, do fish have feelins?” asked the Small Girl yesterday morning as we watched our new tropical fish swim in slow circles around their tank.
“No darling”, I replied, “they don’t feel things the way we do”
She thought about this for a minute, then: “do they feel homesick?”
“No sweetheart” I laughed. But I did wonder what the bright little fish, fluttering languidly within their four walls, made of our giant shapes looming up to their tank.

When I fist decided to write a blog, DH was horrified.
“Am I in it?” he had asked, looking concerned.
“Of course!” I had replied, secretly relishing the power that exposing our family life was going to give me over him “so you’d better be on your best behaviour from now on darling!”

I find the experience of writing down and sharing my thoughts both cathartic and liberating. Despite the fact that it means that everyone pretty much knows everything about me, I’m honest about the funny stuff. And I try to be candid about the darker things too: the past, my depression and the challenges of parenting (like how to deal with an hour-long tantrum about post-it notes or how to explain the word “sexy” to a five-year-old who has just heard it in a song on the radio).

But besides the (admittedly deliberate) disclosure of writing a blog, I also find it very hard to escape the close scrutiny of the people I actually live with.
“Have you lost more weight?” DH asked me accusingly
yesterday morning as I got out of the shower .
“No darling” I sighed, used after a year and a half of fairly intense running to this line of interrogation. And then,
catching a glance of myself in the mirror, “I need to colour my hair though”
“I prefer it your natural colour” commented DH.
“Oh…” I said, crestfallen “but it looks quite natural, don’t you think?”
“No, it’s too blonde” he replied.
“Oh well” I sighed, “I wouldn’t worry about it too much darling, you could be doing a lot worse for yourself”

Hearing the Small People collapsing in fits of hysterical giggles behind me, I looked over to see them wrestling over the Small Girl’s camera. The Very Small Boy pointed to the screen and screeched “It’s Mummy’s bum-bum!” before dissolving back into a giggling heap on the carpet. Rolling my eyes, I reached for my hair colour and left the room.

After we had fed the fish last night, the Very Small Boy reached up to throw his favourite Batman figure into the water. As I stopped him, he cried
“But Batman wants to bash the baddie fish down!”
“I’m not sure the fish want to be bashed down darling” I said, gently taking the figure from him.

“Mummy, do fish feel guilty?” asked the Small Girl thoughtfully.
“I seriously doubt it darling” I replied, and tucking Batman into the back pocket of my jeans, I put an arm around each of the Small People as we peered into the glass to watch the fish dart about, catching the papery bits of multicoloured fishfood that floated gently down through the water to the gravel below.

1 comment: